Our Health Library information does not replace the advice of a doctor. Please be advised that this information is made available to assist our patients to learn more about their health. Our providers may not see and/or treat all topics found herein.
Colds and Flu
Learn about colds and flu
You're sneezing, coughing, aching, and tired. Having a cold or the flu is miserable! But you can treat the symptoms. Cold symptoms tend to get worse over a few days. Flu symptoms are more severe than cold symptoms and come on faster. For either illness, it is important to rest and drink plenty of fluids to feel better.
Cold and flu viruses spread easily in the late fall and winter. Wash your hands often to protect yourself from catching and spreading a cold or the flu. You can lower your risk of catching the flu by getting the flu vaccine every year. If you do catch a cold or the flu, try to stay away from others to avoid spreading the disease.
- Acute Bronchitis
- Allergic Rhinitis
- Avian Influenza (Bird Flu)
- Comforting a Child Who Has a Respiratory Illness
- Cough Symptoms in Children
- Coughs, Age 11 and Younger
- Coughs, Age 12 and Older
- Difference Between the Flu and a Cold
- Ear Infections
- Fever or Chills, Age 11 and Younger
- Fever or Chills, Age 12 and Older
- Fever Temperatures: Accuracy and Comparison
- Flu Complications
- Flu: Signs of Bacterial Infection
- Gastroenteritis in Adults and Older Children
- Heart Failure: Avoiding Colds and Flu
- Influenza (Seasonal Flu)
- Productive Coughs
- Quick Tips: Safely Giving Over-the-Counter Medicines to Children
- Relieving A Cough
- Respiratory Problems, Age 11 and Younger
- Respiratory Problems, Age 12 and Older
- Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) Infection
- Saltwater Washes (Nasal Saline Lavage or Irrigation) for Sinusitis
- Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS)
- Sore Throat and Other Throat Problems
- Strep Throat
- Vaccines to Prevent the Flu
To learn more about Healthwise, visit Healthwise.org.
© 1995-2019 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.